Town travelled to Weetwood Sports Park to face Headingley this weekend. With it being the only Premier League game to go ahead Town had an opportunity to return to the top four.

Despite the rain, the pitch was firm but proved difficult to play the passing game that both the hosts and the visitors enjoy. As such and after the previous two results Town started incredibly sharp, moving the ball with real pace and quality. Headingley seemed to be struggling a little with their formation and Town looked determined to make the most of it.

Within four minutes Town were ahead as Joe Garside won the ball on the left hand side and found the feet of Tom Fleming who sidestepped the defender before driving towards goal and slotting into the bottom corner, 0-1.

Minutes later Town had doubled their lead and it came from another Joe Garside assist after some neat interplay from the away side. The initial build up began on the right with some fine work from Jordan Hendrie who delivered a little to long. Joe Garside was on hand to return ball from the left to find Tom Smith in the penalty area. Smith took an excellent first touch under pressure before driving the ball into the net, 0-2.

Town at this point looked rampant and Headingley were really struggling to cope. The excellent start was further rewarded with a third goal in the opening fifteen minutes. Jordan Hendrie found Tom Fleming on the right hand side who evaded a couple of challenges on his to the touchline before pulling the ball back for Toby Harris. Harris held his run superbly and calmly passed the ball beyond the reach of the Headingley goalkeeper and into the net, 0-3.

From here a combination of Headingley adjusting and Town dropping off a little meant the game become a much more even contest with the ball changing hands throughout the half. The combination of Tim Edney, Tom Bull, Darren Munday, Richard Bull and Nicc Hewitt with their disciplined approach meant Headingley had little joy offensively in the first half. This platform allowed Town to grab the fourth goal before half time and ultimately seal the points. The ball was fired into Toby Harris, who took a touch and laid off to the onrushing Tom Fleming. Fleming dribbled around the centre back before once again finding the bottom corner, 0-4. 

The second half was a non-event after the lightning start the first half brought. Credit to Headingley as they adjusted further and became more competitive, but the half was full of mistakes as both teams seemed to want their opponent to have the ball. It was a really disappointing second half display from town and it would cost them a clean sheet. Sloppy play from the back where passing was short of quality put the back line under unnecessary pressure and Headingley turned over with their centre forward sidestepping a challenge and placing the ball past Tim Edney, 1-4.

This seemed to have a positive impact on the team and within minutes they were once again four goals ahead. Fine work from substitute Dave Hancock saw his front post delivery flicked on by Tom Smith. Tom Fleming controlled and managed to toe poke into the net, completing his hat trick and taking MOM in the process, 1-5.

Overall a terrific result for Town where they did all the damage in the first fifteen minutes and emphatically returned to winning ways.

Next week attention turns to the District Cup semi final away at Horsforth St. Margarets as Town look to make their fourth final in the last six years.